Monday, March 29, 2010

Some late surprises

Koji Uehara is heading to the DL which means that Matt Albers and Kam Mickolio have to like their chances...except that Mickolio apparently isn't too hot right now according to Trembley, and may be joining Uehara on the DL or spending some time on the DL. That in turn would open up a spot in the bullpen for Jason Berken or David Hernandez, but wait! Hernandez evidently has an inside track on Chris Tillman for the 5th starter spot! Confused? Yeah, tell me about it. Then Trembley mentions that Felix Pie will probably find his way into the Opening Day lineup and Luke Scott seems to be playing first base every day and you start to wonder...

My take: Hernandez has outpitched Tillman and has earned a spot, but why not in the bullpen? And why do we keep making the mistake of sending Mickolio down? Oh well, they must know something that I don't...

2 comments:

Matthew Hoyt said...

Luke Scott at First Base? This is news to me. Does that mean Wigginton play DH? Or someone else plays DH?
Felix Pie starting in the OF? Though his spring training seems to have earned it, I really doubt he's worth the pain and suffering we'll likely endure when he's at bat. Beyond a leadoff spot, weak-fast hitters arent really going to help this lineup.

That said, I do sort of understand Trembley's logic if he puts Pie at the top of the order in place of an injured BRob

Tim said...

I don't think there are any plans to have Scott be the starting first basemen, I just thought it was interesting how much time he was getting there over Atkins, who didn't exactly light things up in spring training.

Reimold will still get the majority of starts in left field, but will start slow as an injury precaution.

I'd forgotten about Wigginton. That's kind of funny.