Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Are you serious?

Yeah back on the grind again, I know it's been a little while but it's time again.
Folks askin', Tim when you gonna blog again? I'm like, hold up give me time my man.

Okay, so maybe I'm not Lecrae, but it has been a while and I'm ready to talk about some things that I just don't understand. I read this week that the O's are really interested in Brad Hennessey and Danys Baez as potential starters. Baez is a reliever who was 0-6 with a 6.44 ERA with the O's in 2007. He missed all of last season with an injury. So he is awful and rusty, great combination. Not only that, he wants to be a starting pitcher. Let's look at his career as a starting pitcher. 7 years ago he started 26 games for the Indians, throwing 154 innings (that's about 6 per game), going 9-10 with a 4.44 ERA, walking 75, and striking out 121. Those are Daniel Cabrera-like numbers. But that was when Baez was 25 and throwing the ball 98 mph. Plus he played for the Indians, a good team. I think Baez should have a hard time making the team as a reliever, let alone a starter.

Hennessey is a 29 year old non-roster invite. So if he makes the team, the O's will have to get rid of someone from the 40 man roster, probably someone who is a lot better than Hennessey. But let's be fair and look at his career as a first round draft pick and starting pitcher with the Giants in the last five seasons. He has 44 career starts, but I'm going to use my math skills to show how his career as a starter would look in one season (32 starts): 171 innings (5 1/3 per start, pretty bad), 4.76 ERA (not bad, but in the easier NL), 72 walks (pretty wild), 87 strikeouts (pathetic), and an 8-11 record. He also gives up home runs like it's batting practice. I guess I just don't see what the O's are excited about. He doesn't have great control or great stuff, he is no longer young, he doesnt pitch many innings, and he has never pitched against the AL, not to mention the AL East.

This all leads me to say that I'd rather see Rich Hill, Hayden Penn, David Pauley, Matt Albers, and Radhames Liz fight for the last three rotation spots. Don't even get me started on Matt Hendrickson.

5 comments:

Matthew Hoyt said...

What's the status of Rich Hill? I saw a projection that didn't have him starting on fox sports. I guess since he played in the minors most of last year he'll start there?

He's a legitimate #3 as he is now, but I don't know what the Os plan to do with him.

Also: Both of these players they're considering suck. I veto each of them.

Tim said...

Matt- Hill can't start in the minors, he's out of options. If he doesn't make the team, the O's lose him. But Trembley basically said he'd have to pitch his way out of the rotation. So unless he's completely out of control or ineffective this spring, you can pencil him in as the number 3 starter. Glad to see some support.

ali said...

I feel so out of the loop on Oriole's news since I haven't had my computer for over 48 hours... yikes.

Anyway -- from what I hear, I totally agree with what you've said...

And, as always... to throw in my 2 cents -- Hayden Penn = starting pitcher. :D

Anonymous said...

Tim,
you sound like Chip does when he talks about our Tech equiptment. just thought i'd let you know.

Matthew Hoyt said...

Wait, Erica -- Are you old enough to be reading blogs like this?